Fleet Driver Safety – One Hour of Highly Interactive Training to Reduce Crashes
Virtual Techniques Drive Home Learning
According to Automotive Fleet magazine, there is a difference between educating fleet drivers and training them. Virtual HD® was designed to complement computer-based, behind-the-wheel and classroom programs converting the education to meaningful training.
Virtual HD was developed to be an immersive “commentary drive”, where a driver learns to identify and call out hazards using their voice as they drive through virtual environments. The hazards identified in a rural snow scene will be different from those in a busy city. By using advanced learning techniques such as zoom to target, bullet time slow motion, virtual veils and x-ray vision, drivers will learn at an unprecedented pace.
By choosing one of the many types of vehicles included with Virtual HD your drivers can learn using the same vehicle type they use out on the road. Whether it is a personal vehicle like an SUV, passenger car or a “company” vehicle such as a utility truck or semi, Virtual HD has the perspective and mirror placements needed for effective training.
Virtual HD is simply better training in less time.
- Distracted Driving
- Following Distance & Space Cushion
- Parking Lot Safety
- Hazard Anticipation & Recognition
- And many other often taught behind the wheel
Lesson 1: What is a Hazard?
- 1.1 Interactive Tutorial: City
- 1.2 Recognizing Hazards: Commercial
- 1.3 Recognizing Hazards: Highway
- 1.4 Subtle Clues: City
Lesson 2: Keep Your Eyes Moving
- 2.1 Keep Eyes Moving Introduction: Highway
- 2.2 Keep Eyes Moving: City
- 2.3 Keep Eyes Moving: Rural
Lesson 3: Never Take Eyes Off Road
- 3.0 Distraction Dangers: Introduction
- 3.1 Distraction Dangers: Texting Danger – Highway
- 3.2 Distraction Dangers: Inattention Blindness – Commercial
Lesson 4: Take Time to Look
- 4.1 Take Time to Look: Introduction – Commercial
- 4.2 Take Time to Look: Commercial
Lesson 5: Be Aware of What You Can’t See
- 5.1 Hidden Hazards: Introduction – City
- 5.2 Hidden Hazards: Commercial
- 5.3 Hidden Hazards: Motorcycles – Commercial
Lesson 6: What if?
- 6.1 Anticipation Training: Introduction – Residential
- 6.2 Anticipation Training: Highway
- 6.3 Anticipation Training: City
- 6.4 Overcorrection: Rural
- 6.5 Skidding/Hydroplaning: Highway
Lesson 7: Maintain Following Distance
- 7.1 Maintain Following Distance: Introduction – Highway
- 7.2 Maintain Following Distance: Highway
- 7.3 Maintain Following Distance: Highway/Rain
Lesson 8: Cover the Brake
- 8.1 Being Prepared: Introduction – Commercial
- 8.2 Being Prepared: Commercial
Lesson 9: Maintain Space Around Vehicle
- 9.1 Space Cushion: Introduction – Highway
- 9.2 Space Cushion: Highway
Lesson 10: Parking Lot Safety
- 10.1 Parking Lot Dangers: Introduction
- 10.2 Parking Lot: Parking
- 10.3 Parking Lot: Backing Techniques
Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime Training
Do you have a lot of employees in a lot of offices? No problem. Virtual HD is a flexible and portable training program that can be deployed to remote locations and routed throughout your organization as needed or set up in a regional training centers. We offer multiple hardware platforms, so logistics is one less problem you have.
Insight™ Makes Management Reporting Simple
Virtual HD is a self-paced program that is constantly tracked and managed by the Insight Management system. InSight tracks the progress of each student throughout the Virtual HD training program using a robust reporting tool that is exportable to Excel and PDF. InSight brings you the level of reporting you need – whenever you need it.
Since July 2013 when we implemented the simulator in our facility, we’ve seen a 38% reduction in crashes. And, so far this year, we are trending well below last year’s numbers.
Rodney RuffDivision Manager, UPS
VDI’s driving simulators have proven to be a cost-effective and engaging way to provide refresher training before and us post office logo imageafter accidents to our Postal Carriers and Tractor/Trailer Operators. More importantly, the simulation-based driver safety training has considerably reduced accident rates in the Suncoast District during our trial period compared to the same period last year. In fact, we have had only one backing accident since we got the simulator in Tampa compared to last year when there were 26!
Andrea MaddicksManager Transportation & Networks Suncoast District
When we looked at the potential benefit to Bright House Networks of a new and creative way to address the challenge of distracted driving and the possible payoff, measured in terms of human life, property damage, operations hindrance, and impact to brand name, it just made sense to add the Virtual HD® simulator to our safety program. VDI is working with our Corporate Safety Department to reduce driving errors, save money, and bottom line, to save lives!
Jeff SpackmanCorporate Safety
The Virtual HD® simulator allows us to address driver safety in a new and exciting forum, as opposed to the traditional meeting forum, to continue to drive our safe driving focus. Since the simulator is portable, it also allows us to save on travel expenses by bringing the simulator to the employees, which helps us logistically. The virtual lessons compliment and parallel our current Smith System driving philosophy giving us a more consistent safe driving message.
Dan DiamondVirtual HD Site Supervisor